Advertisement

Trial postponed until February for Towaoc man charged in child’s death

Hight
Jeremiah Hight’s defense asked for more time to prepare, investigate

The multi-week murder trial of a Towaoc man accused of firing multiple rounds into a trailer home and killing a 7-year-old boy has been postponed from October until February of next year.

Jeremiah Hight was indicted in the U.S. District Court of Colorado on Jan. 7, 2025, on allegations of second-degree murder of a child and discharging a firearm in relation to a crime of violence.

The allegations stem from the Dec. 11, 2024, shooting that occurred at the Mountain Sage Trailer Court in Towaoc that killed 7-year-old Zamias Lang, who was a student in Montezuma-Cortez School District RE-1.

In the arrest affidavit filed eight days later, Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Richard Drebenstedt alleges that Hight, who is a member of the Ute Mountain Ute tribe, fired into a mobile home shortly after midnight, killing Lang, who died on scene.

The agent’s affidavit says tribal-owned security cameras reveal a person – who investigators later say matches Hight’s build and outfit – walking to the residence and firing what appears to be a rifle then leaving along a service road.

Investigators recovered 24 shell casings near the apparent firing location and documented 24 bullet holes in the home.

Part of the affidavit analyzes shoe prints near the scene and argues they are consistent with Nautica slip-on shoes a witness said Hight had been wearing.

A witness reportedly saw Hight, 24, return after sounds of gunfire carrying a firearm.

The motion to reset the trial date was filed by Hight’s legal team assistant Colorado federal public defenders Josh Lilley and Laura Suelau.

The defense asked to exclude 120 days from the Speedy Trial Act, which went unopposed by U.S. prosecutors and was granted through written findings by U.S. District Judge Gordon Gallagher.

In the Monday motion, Suelau and Lilley wrote “the investigation into a case of this type is substantial” and said they needed more time to prepare, investigate and review the prosecution’s recently disclosed discovery files.

The government also provided notice of the intent to offer evidence related to Federal Rule of Evidence 404(b), though the defense intends to challenge the admissibility.

“The court’s decision on that motion may significantly impact Mr. Hight’s defense at trial,” wrote Suelau and Lilley in the Monday motion.

Part of the discovery includes 600 pages of written reports and dozens of media files, including 100 recorded calls from the jail, the motion stated.

Another portion of discovery was hundreds of hours of video footage from 20 pole cameras throughout Towaoc on Dec. 10-11, 2024.

Suelau and Lilley wrote more discovery was received Aug. 14 and that included the court transcripts from the grand jury indictment.

The defense stated more time was required to consult with Hight on pre-trial motions and explain his legal options, research and file necessary pre-trial motions and also prepare for trial.

The trial is set to start 8 a.m. Feb. 22 and is scheduled to last 15 days.

awatson@the-journal.com