Log In


Reset Password

Trash fire destroys Mancos trailer home

Owner was burning trash, fire chief says
A fire late Sunday night in Mancos destroyed a trailer home on the north side of town.

A trailer home on the north side of Mancos was destroyed late Sunday night after a trash fire got out of control, according to Mancos Fire Chief Tony Aspromonte.

About 10 Mancos firefighters arrived on scene near the 110 block of East Sunset Avenue just before 10 p.m., Aspromonte said on Monday. It appeared that the homeowner had been burning trash in a barrel on the back porch of the trailer, Aspromonte said, and the fire spread to the house.

There were no injuries, and all the residents of the home got out safely, Aspromonte said. The fire crew was on scene until about 2 a.m. Monday, he said.

Homes on either side had some damage, Aspromonte said.

“We had some heat damage to a house on the east side, and the west side house was left without power,” he said.

Open fires and fireworks are not allowed in Mancos, according to the town’s municipal code.

Southwest Colorado was under a red flag fire warning until 11 p.m. Monday, according to the National Weather Service in Grand Junction. A red flag warning means that wind and dry conditions are ripe for extreme fire behavior, including rapid growth if a fire starts.

jacobk@the-journal.com

Jan 28, 2022
Mancos celebrates a century of community at Grange
Jan 28, 2022
Four fires spark along U.S. 491 in Cortez
Jan 28, 2022
Mancos Grange celebrates 100-year anniversary
Jan 28, 2022
Mancos Cowboy Half Marathon returns for fourth year
Jan 28, 2022
Mancos audit reveals town is in good shape
Jan 28, 2022
Man accused of arson gets plea bargain