Log In

Reset Password

Update: Snow closes schools in Montezuma County, Dove Creek

The Montezuma-Cortez School District will be on a two-hour delay Wednesday. (Journal file)
Impacts of major winter snowstorm linger into middle of week

Schools in Montezuma County and Dove Creek closed Wednesday because of winter weather conditions.

Montezuma-Cortez, Dolores, and Mancos school districts had planned a two-hour delay, but after heavy snowfall overnight, closed on Wednesday. Dove Creek schools, in Dolores County School District Re-2J also closed.

The Montezuma-Cortez School District Re-1 Board of Education rescheduled its monthly meeting for Thursday at 6 p.m.

Schools in Cortez, Dolores and Dove Creek closed Monday and Tuesday because of the snow. Mancos Schools had a snow day Tuesday.

The winter storm warning, issued for Southwest Colorado, expired at 5 a.m. Wednesday.

Mostly sunny skies, with a high temperature near freezing and patchy, blowing snow was expected until 4 p.m. Wednesday. The overnight low Wednesday was expected to drop to 8 degrees.

A 30% chance of snow was forecast for late Thursday night, and a 70% chance of snow for Friday.