Log In

Reset Password

FBI agent testifies about cellphone activity after Dylan Redwine’s disappearance

Trial to resume Tuesday after holiday weekend
Scott Eicher, a former FBI agent, testifies on Friday during the Mark Redwine trial at the La Plata County Courthouse. Redwine is on trial for second degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of his son, Dylan Redwine. (Jerry McBride/Durango Herald)

As Elaine Hall drove cross-state from Colorado Springs to Vallecito Reservoir, Dylan Redwine’s father, Mark Redwine, ceased attempts to reach his son by phone, a former FBI agent testified Friday.

The now-retired FBI agent described Redwine’s and Dylan’s phone activity Friday, during the 10th day of Redwine’s homicide trial. Jurors were sent home midday ahead of the Fourth of July holiday and will not return until Tuesday morning.

Redwine, who is charged with second-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death, didn’t attempt to contact Dylan from 10:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. Nov. 19-20 – the first night Dylan went missing, Scott Eicher, the former FBI agent, testified Friday.

However, Redwine texted Dylan four times between 8 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Nov. 19, and he called his son once at 7 a.m. Nov. 20, Eicher said. There were no further attempts by Redwine to contact Dylan.

Evidence is presented June 21 during opening remarks in the Mark Redwine trial. An FBI agent testified Friday about the digital records involving the cellphones of Mark and Dylan Redwine. Mark Redwine is charged with second-degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of his 13-year-old son, Dylan. (Jerry McBride/Durango Herald file)

Dylan did not use his cellphone after 9 p.m. Nov. 18, Eicher said. Dylan’s last text received was at 10 p.m. Nov. 18, from his mom who wrote, “How are you son, doing OK?”

Dylan did not respond. Not that night, not in the morning.

In other testimony, Mark Redwine’s son from his first marriage to Betsy Horvath, Brandon Redwine, returned to the witness stand for cross-examination by the defense Friday after telling jurors Mark “wasn’t anxious to get involved” with the initial search for Dylan.

The defense asked Brandon about Redwine’s behavior and conversations in the first months Dylan went missing before the first remains were found in June 2013.

“Do you remember him saying things along the lines of, ‘He's the love of my life’ and ‘My whole world revolves around my son’?” asked Redwine's public defender, John Moran.

“He did make comments like that, yes,” Brandon replied.

He also confirmed that Redwine got a tattoo with Dylan’s name.

Kaela Roeder is an intern for The Durango Herald and The Journal in Cortez and a 2021 graduate of American University in Washington, D.C.

Reader Comments