Log In

Reset Password

Farmington police release more details about officer-involved shooting

Suspect taken to Albuquerque hospital for treatment
A screengrab from body camera footage shows a male suspect holding a gun and walking toward an officer near the police vehicle down the street, according to the Farmington Police Department.

FARMINGTON – The Farmington Police Department has released additional details about an officer-involved shooting that occurred Monday.

The San Juan County Regional Officer Involved Shooting Task Force is investigating the shooting.

Farmington police Chief Steve Hebbe released a video in which he outlined the incident.

Nicole Brown, spokeswoman for the department, said law enforcement received “numerous” calls that a man was shooting a gun in downtown Farmington at 2:23 p.m. He was reportedly seen walking with a second man.

“Officers followed leads as they were being reported and found spent bullet casings and an empty ammunition box where the suspects were reported to have been seen,” Brown said.

After they viewed security camera footage from a nearby business, police were able to get a better look at who they were searching for and a shelter-in-place order was issued for the areas of Arrington Street, Lake Street and Allen Avenue.

Just after 4 p.m., another 911 caller reported shots heard in the area of 100 block of W. Animas Street.

When officers made contact with the men, one man pointed a gun at an officer and began to walk toward officers. Four officers fired their weapons.

Brown said officers immediately rendered aid and called for paramedics. The man was taken to San Juan Regional Medical Center and then taken to Albuquerque for further treatment.

No other injuries were reported at the scene.

“The Farmington Police Department would like to thank the public for their vigilance and swift reporting,” Brown said. “We’d also like to thank the businesses that were quick to provide video as we worked to locate the suspects and keep our community safe.”

The officers who discharged their guns are on administrative leave, which is “routine procedure.” The incident remains under investigation by the San Juan County Regional Officer Involved Shooting Task Force.


Reader Comments