Log In

Reset Password

Armed suspect taken into custody ‘peacefully’ after standoff in Farmington

Nearby elementary school locked down twice in two days
Blotter lights

FARMINGTON – After a two-day search involving two school lockdowns and a standoff, Farmington police arrested and charged Aaron Carrasco, 21, with aggravated burglary, larceny of a firearm and felony possession of a firearm.

Farmington Police Department received a report at 7:52 a.m. Thursday that Carrasco was in the area of 16th Street and N. Fairview Ave., with Animas Elementary School nearby, and that he had stolen a firearm, a news release from the police department said.

“As officers attempted to contact Carrasco, he fled on foot with the gun visible,” the release said.

Animas Elementary School was placed on lockdown while police searched the area. After officers and K-9s searched for Carrasco for about four hours without finding him, they ended the search.

At 8:30 a.m. Friday, Farmington police received a report from a resident that there was an unknown man inside his home who matched Carrasco’s description, the release said.

“Through investigation, officers found that Carrasco was possibly armed with a firearm,” the release said. “Negotiators and the SWAT team responded to assist with the situation.”

After Carrasco spoke with negotiators by phone, he stepped outside the home and was taken “peacefully,” the release said.

“Farmington Police Department would like to thank Farmington Municipal Schools for quickly placing the nearby Animas Elementary School in a preventative lockdown on both days,” the release said. “Thank you to the citizens of Farmington for understanding the traffic restrictions in the area during these incidents.”

Farmington Municipal Schools said the district typically doesn’t comment about these matters, but spokesman Roberto Taboada said Farmington police “did a great job and it needs to be said.”

“We worked closely with the Farmington Police Department, their professionalism and communications are simply outstanding,” Taboada said in an email Monday. “It was no different during this recent incident, FPD reacted quickly, recommending we place the school under a preventative lockdown, and keeping us and the public informed. Inside Animas Elementary, the school day went as scheduled.”

The police are continuing their investigation of the case. Anyone with information can call the Farmington Police Department at (505) 599-1068.