The Mancos RE-6 school board celebrated graduates, received a report from a student board member about student sentiment regarding the district’s cellphone policy, said goodbye to retirees and more at their Monday night board meeting.
The board expressed pride and excitement for Sunday’s graduates, congratulating student board member Greta Thompson, a graduating senior. The board said that it had been an honor to work with Thompson, who was not present at the meeting, this year.
The board spoke of the preschool and kindergarten graduations on Wednesday, as well as the fifth grade continuation on Tuesday, before celebrating the school’s track team and their recent performance at state.
This year’s state track qualifiers were Jonah Ritter, Destiny Kramer, Levi Priestley and Tymbri Priestley. The board also said goodbye to Chrissie Miller (business manager), Tara Wilburn (third grade teacher) and Karen Callahan (bus driver), who are retiring from their roles in the district.
The district shared that Miller and Wilburn both worked in the district for over 20 years.
In student voice, student board member Rhett Brown shared that students have been providing input on the district’s cellphone policy, a big point of interest for students in the recent student survey, to school leadership.
Superintendent Audrey Hazleton addressed the work being done to articulate the district’s habits and the “Blue Jay way” as discussed in a November meeting, emphasizing the importance of continuing to build a strong school climate. She noted the success of a recent Project-Based Learning expo, which allowed students to showcase what they have learned throughout the school year.
She also shared that Mancos Summer Hub, a project of Mancos United that provides students a safe and educational place to spend the summer, is underway.
Following an executive session to address personnel matters, President Tim Hunter adjourned the meeting.
bduran@the-journal.com
