Log In

Reset Password

Cortez fire destroys automotive-granite business

Loss estimated at $300,000 to $400,000

A fire destroyed a granite counter and automotive business south of Cortez on Saturday morning, Fire Chief Jeff Vandevoorde said.

The fire started about 7:45 a.m. Saturday at the Top Notch Marble and Granite shop, 6945 Road 24.2, Vandevoorde said. It destroyed the 4,800-square foot metal building, which will have to be torn down, he said.

“It was pretty well-engulfed,” the chief said on Monday.

The cause was unintentional, he said. He suspected the blaze possibly was caused by a battery and battery charger that had overheated inside the building.

There was a heavy fire load inside the building, including two trucks about 60 tires, he said. The business was located on the southeast side of the intersection of U.S. Highway 160 and Montezuma County Road G.

Vandevoorde estimated the fire caused between $300,000 and $400,000 in damage, he said.

Twelve firefighters from the Cortez Fire District arrived just before 8 a.m. Saturday and stayed fighting the fire until about 11:30 a.m., Vandevoorde said. Crews from Dolores, Mancos, Towaoc and Lewis assisted, he said.

Two engines, two tankers and a rescue unit were on scene from Cortez, as well as an engine from both Dolores and Mancos, and a tanker from both Towaoc and Lewis, the chief said. The Montezuma County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the scene, he said.


Mar 15, 2017
Women face felony theft charges in Medicine Man pot case
Mar 15, 2017
Photo: Brush fire on County Road 27
Feb 26, 2017
Woman dies after crashing into tree at Purgatory