“This year is going to be … who knows, its dry,” began Sheriff Steve Nowlin, addressing the county board Monday.
“But the thing is, we do have weather coming … we still have a chance for moisture over the next several months,” Nowlin continued.
Nowlin and county emergency manager Jim Spratlen are urging landowners to be proactive with controlled burns when conditions allow, before the dry season possibly prompts an early fire ban.
The two met with the Board of County Commissioners during Monday’s workshop to discuss fire prevention amid this season’s dry, windy weather. Commissioners agreed their goal is to notify residents early about property mitigation ahead of fire season and help them prepare for emergencies.
Nowlin emphasized that residents should break large piles into smaller, manageable ones and avoid burning them all at once. He said people must call dispatch before burning to confirm weather conditions, such as high‑wind days or countywide red‑flag alerts, to prevent unnecessary emergency responses.
Spratlen said he and Nowlin are visiting community groups and agencies to talk about wildfire preparedness. They plan to discuss evacuations, property‑mitigation strategies and assembling home go‑kits, encouraging residents not to wait until the last minute.
Spratlen and Nowlin will lead the next “Coffee with the County” meetup, where the main discussion will center on fire mitigation, including education about controlled burns. The once‑monthly informal Q&A between commissioners and the public will take place March 9 from 10–11:30 a.m. in the Board of County Commissioners meeting room at 109 W. Main St.
Spratlen encouraged residents seeking information or guidance on controlled burns to call his office at (970) 564‑4137.
In anticipation of a potential fire ban, commissioners confirmed that the landfill will once again accept green waste, also known as compost material, for free, similar to last year. The material must be weighed at the scale for state reporting, and officials stressed that the drop‑off is only for green waste and cannot include household trash or appliances.
Commissioners also discussed organizing and funding a free cleanup weekend for residents to dispose of trash as part of a broader effort to reduce blight. They aim to schedule it in late May or early June, depending on when winds appear calmer.
awatson@the-journal.com

