Cortez Sanitation District Questionnaire: Waters
Name: Dave Waters
Age: Not listed
Telephone: Not listed
Website: Not listed
1. How do you define freedom of the press?
Freedom of the press comes with a fundamental responsibility to report stories based on facts, without bias, not influenced by personal or political feelings, interpretations or prejudice. An ethical journalist will strive for truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability.
2. List three action items you’d introduce to guarantee the people’s right to know?
There are no action items needed. The Cortez Sanitation District is fully transparent to everyone.
3. Describe the biggest mistake of your professional career. What lessons did you learn?
There have been many mistakes in my career. It’s not the mistakes that matter its how you deal with them.
4. Describe the greatest accomplishment of your professional career. Who is your mentor and why?
As a Cortez Sanitation District Board member I have seen the District move forward to do their own billing, giving us the information that was previously not available. This information enables us to run the District properly.
5. If elected, what would be your top priorities?
Continue to move the District forward and repair the aging infrastructure.
6. In examining the district’s total budget, which line items would you support for greater funding and which line items would you recommend be cut? Why?
Greater funding should go toward replacement of deteriorating, older sewer lines to prevent serious problems in the upcoming years. The District is a non-profit organization and we made it our priority to not have unnecessary items in the budget.
7. What are your thoughts on the newly adopted rate structure, and what measures would you propose to ensure customers were billed fairly and accurately?
The new rate structure ensures that customers are billed fairly and that each pays their fair share of the cost of maintaining the sewer plant and infrastructure.
8. Is working and partnering with outside agencies important? Why or why not?
Working with other agencies is always a necessity when operating a successful business. Such interaction must be conducted in a manner that does not compromise the trust given by constituents or the integrity of the business’s statutes.
9. List the district’s top three needs, and what steps would you take to address those concerns?
Infrastructure in my opinion is the top priority and ability to obtain water from a closer source, the water is needed for cleaning & maintaining sewer lines.
10. List your expertise and/or qualifications that set you apart from other candidates.
I have been self employed and in business for 27 years. I have experience in building sewer treatment facilities and knowledge of how they work. I have personally seen the deteriorating lines in this District and I know the issues that the District faces to maintain and replace the lines.